Friday, September 19, 2008

(West) African music

I just came back from West African dance class, with live drummers. Wow. I came to class rather feeling stuffed up, stiff, and tired. We danced, I got to sweat like a pig, and huff and puff, my lower back made some sounds when it went back into place, and it seems as if my whole body got "oiled up" and recalibrated, and I was very very happy and clear headed at the end.

Then I started thinking and the clarity went away. So, I realized:

during the african dance, I wasn't really thinking in a "normal" way, it was some higher level of thinking, which made me feel rejuvenated and refreshed.

There was no negative emotions, just BEing and dancing. No thinking, no judgement, etc. (well, there was some, since I showed up in my work dress and was a little limited in my range of movement, but it was ok). It was sheer joy of dancing...

Labels: ,